News, insights & analysis
A three-month investigation by students from Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications sheds new light on $3.2 billion U.S. mine clearance and victim assistance effort.
SEN. KELLY AYOTTE DEMANDS UPDATE ON THE WAR AGAINST MILITARY SEXUAL ASSAULT
U.S. Army Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Daniel Allyn, U.S. Navy Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Michelle Howard, U.S. Air Force Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Larry O. Spencer and U.S. Marine Corps Assistant Commandant Gen. John Paxton gave descriptions of how their respective services were working to combat the problem of sexual assault in the military.
medill undergrads dive into privacy
Students in Medill’s Washington newsroom wrote a suite of stories tackling various aspects of privacy and civil liberties. Read them here.
- FAA backed away from proposing privacy regulations for drones — but that might be a good thing, according to experts
- Minimizing your digital trail
- Privacy: Then and now
- Cleaning up after a cyber hack
- Tor and the darknet: shining a light on the web’s darkest corners
- Internet currency Bitcoin lacks privacy protections
- ‘Parks and Recreation’ has vision for future of consumer data privacy issues
- As Europe’s privacy laws evolve, so must American companies when operating ‘across the pond’
- Experts: Your iPhone apps may collect unnecessary data
- Long-ignored government practice lets IRS skirt fourth and fifth amendments
- Private sector remains wary of government efforts to increase cybersecurity collaboration
- New talking doll puts kids’ privacies in danger
ARMY TIMES publishes medill student’s story
National Security Journalism Specialization grad student Matthew Schehl’s story on the return of Task Force Iron Knights soldiers from their Ebola mission in Monrovia, Liberia was published this week.
Website gives voice to members of American military
Launched in July, Blue Force Tracker shows what’s going on in the military through pieces often produced by current or former members of the armed forces.